PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - naming and shaming - cui bono?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2013, 10:53
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's good if you don't believe in civil rights or human dignity.......
Generally, I'm batting on the same team as you. Trouble is that alcohol is such a major part not just of our recreation but our diet and culture. Those with a drink problem live in that culture and makes it hard for them to stop. I guess many of us know pilots and others who work in abstinent states to avoid temptation. That's smart, if you know you've got a problem.

I'm not sure that it's 'undignified' to blow into an intoximeter? Since the tester doesn't know me from Adam it isn't personal...I just don't care. Others might care, and I understand that but what about passengers? Employers? I don't see the 'civil rights' argument at all. Every jockey is weighed before the race and after. Is that 'undignified' and against 'civil rights'? In any case, random testing is normal and accepted. I'd find it far more undignified to be tested because I looked out of sorts (when I wasn't) than be tested before every flight.

I think it'll come. Would be better to put the effort into making sure that the procedure and consequences on fail are acceptable than try to sandbank the water-meadows from the river.