PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Suspends Barrier Aviation Operations
Old 6th Jan 2013, 05:28
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shed Dog Tosser

You keep referring to “Snag” when under the reg’s no differentiation is legally provided for. We all at sometime shake our head with some of the reg’s but unfortunately we are bound by them. We must all work within them. You cannot just pick and choose which ones you wish to adhere to and you certainly can’t just keep making stuff up to suite your own particular argument or point of view.

Regarding the oil consumption, there should be some system of monitoring the health of all aircraft in an operator’s fleet. In my last GA Company that I was CP of, as well as having MEL’s and CDL which were part of our system of maintenance which in turn broadly followed Cessna’s system of maintenance for each aircraft type, we also had trend monitoring. On every flight the PIC had to record all the engine parameters on the tech log page which were uploaded to computer the next morning for the maintenance controller and engineering to look over and take action if something was observed out of the ordinary. Again these types of things shouldn’t just jump out at you but if they do, alarm bells should start ringing.

While CASA and Federal Government policy should most certainly be blamed for a lot of GA’s problems, some of the problems though are self inflicted.

OpsNormal

Between all of you not many of you agree with (what should be) a simple concept of either broken or not, or written up or not.
I don’t think that is the case at all. If something is broken it is broken and is therefore a defect by definition and must be written up.
What does the preamble of Barrier's Master MEL/S.O.M say in relation to aircraft defects or items that do not fall into the bounds of the applicable MEL? I would suggest to most of you that without knowledge of that document many of you are piddling directly into a stiff breeze...
That type of stuff is usually covered in the pre-amble of most MEL’s and from what I have seen are pretty generic, i.e. if not covered must be serviceable. They also usually say any item which is related to airworthiness and aren’t included in the MEL are automatically required to be working.