PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 4
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2013, 00:08
brissypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Scottish,

I know how incredibly frustrating it can be, believe me. Although we're far more fortunate here in Australia that you poor guys in Europe, there is still discrimination occuring here. I've failed every colour vision test available and so my medical still restricts me & others like me from exercising the full privileges of our ATPL licences. There have been many times in my 15 years of flying when I have often thought it would be easier to give up as I am unable to fulfil my career goals. In doing that though, I would fail not only myself, but future generations of pilots who would continue to suffer the same injustices.

The most frustrating part for me is that I fly professionally for a living and so can see first hand just how irrelevant to the 'safe performance' of a pilots duties all these tests actually are. They prove absolutely nothing aside from the fact that we are colour defective, which we already know anyway!

Australian CVD's once also had similar restrictions to Europe and it was only due to Arthur's persistance to mount a legal challenge in the 1980's that we now enjoy a great deal more freedom in comparison to you guys. As OOW mentioned, the job is not quite finished here yet. We remain optimistic of a positive legal outcome in Australia sometime this year, which can then be used as evidence to prove to the rest of the world that the colour perception standard is a crock of BS!

I also speak with Arthur on a regular basis and I know he is extremely dedicated to help others internationally as are all CVDPA members including myself. To be successful though, we need to stop talking about all these irrelevant tests and start talking about ways to unite collectively and mount legal action. That is the only way we're going to win this fight!