PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines and morale
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2003, 20:10
twinjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mackaskill

When I was a boy, the return air fare to New York was about £200. 10 years later, everything in the world has gone up in price except the NY air fare...about £179. Why is this? Along with negative inflation on air fares is a decrease in pilot living standards. When Diana died being chased by the press, I was amazed to read of the publics contempt for the paparazzi, yet it was the same public who devoured every report on Diana that fuelled the demand for pictures of her.If we ever have a crash caused by overworked, fatigued pilots, possibly in a low cost airline, or even a major as they try to compete,the public will be the first to ask why were the crew tired?The people that want to travel return to Barcelona for £30! Lo cost has offered career prospects to some pilots that are unheard of in the majors(flag carriers).These are ambitious , highly motivated people who , three years after qualifying can be earning £80000. The holy grail of a jet command has led to a certain amount of" pliability" of rest requirements,etc.

I was recently at a dinner party and the conversation came around to lo cost aviation, which I work in. An enthusiastic couple mentioned that they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. When I mentioned the hours I worked, how tired I was reporting for work, let alone leaving it, the constant roster changes that did not allow me to plan my rest, the effect it was having on my home life, my inability to accept an invitation to dinner, and that with all this , I might have to deal with engine failures, weather etc, I realised I was probably one of the best adverts a traditional airline had ever used.