PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcans Falkland Raid
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2013, 21:44
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah, it must have been at least six months since we had the usual long thread on this...

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...ring-raid.html

being the most recent I can think of.

The one hole in the runway (contrary to various myths, blogs and letters to the Daily Telegraph) meant that the Argentines couldn't operate fast jets from the runway even if they extended it with the PSP that was there (there were other complications too) because of the limited resources available to fill it in. This is discussed in no little depth in two different articles in the Journal of the Royal Engineers in 1983/84, one written by the Sapper officer who led the team who had to fill it in to a standard which'd permit the operation of FJ.

There are an array of myths about the raid and a reasonable amount of public domain information which has emerged which disprove many of the myths; the release of the documents about the war (but not all of them - some have redactions, pointing to other documents which are to be retained for another 10 years...) will help as well, since I suspect that some of the confident recollections of senior officers, intelligence types and politicians of the time - notably the details which emerged during the 2002 Staff College seminar for the 20th anniversary - might have been dulled by the passage of time. I've not gone through many yet, but it is worth noting that one of the War Cabinet documents notes with regret that the Sunday Express was going, by 18th Apr 1982, to claim that the Vulcans were being prepped to bomb the mainland, but also notes that this might be quite handy...

The documents also point to the concerns over when to deploy the Vulcans to Ascension because the possible diplomatic ramifications. One of the elements to this discussion noted that shutting the airfield (to combat aircraft?) would be an obvious part of this clearly-stated aim of imposing a TEZ, and thus acceptable. There's a clear sense, even from the few bits of paper I've looked at so far, that there was a far bigger picture than just shutting the runway to FJ going on (there were discussions about using the SAS or naval forces as alternative means of attacking the airfield) - but there's still a lot of paper to go through...