PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA plans for 380s and 787s
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2013, 21:41
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2-3-2 on BA 380's versus 1-2-1 for business on SQ 380's???

IMHO that's absolutely crap!!

I know that I can't make a direct comparison between the busioness class products on a yet-to-fly-commercially BA 380 & an in-service SQ 380, but I've done a route several times that is served by SQ, & BA / QF on codeshare.

I've had the good fortune to do LHR-SIN in 2-4-2 Club World on a BA 744 and SIN-LHR on the 2-2-2 Qantas 380 business class (on a BA ticket) as well as the same route in 1-2-1 business on SQ's 380.

Considering just the seat spacing on the two different 380's ,the QF experience was a huge disappointment, the cabin felt so much smaller with the extra seats across it & with BA adding an extra seat across the cabin, it can only seem smaller yet. When you add to it the BA fetish of forwards & backwards facing seats the cabin can only end up feeling shoehorned-in and tight. Next,given [as an example] that the basic cost of a LHR - SIN business return is currently around £100 more on BA than SQ, they're only on to a loser by cramming more people into the same area, as although the service level on BA in business is OK, it's just not a patch on SQ. In the end, if nothing changes, people will vote with their wallets and pay less for more room and better service and the extra seats will be left empty on competing routes.

As someone who has gone from blue to almost silver on BA in the past six months, I'm disappointed in their thinking about their new plane's cabins.

Also, I can't understand why they think that the BA cabins are that good, the consensus among my colleagues & me is that the BA special Beige/Grey colour scheme means that they're reminiscent of a mid 1970's minimalist's flat. The colour scheme has stayed the same since I started flying with BA back in the 1980's. Now they just look tired, even when brand new.

Last edited by Donkey497; 5th Jan 2013 at 22:27. Reason: clarification of basis for comparison