PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Suspends Barrier Aviation Operations
Old 5th Jan 2013, 19:55
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
What seems to me to be totally absent from GA and CASA these days are the twin concepts of "common sense" and the "reasonable" man.

On a number of occasions I've found something that I had thought to be unserviceable and qureid the engineers to be told: "It always does that" and what the fix was, and the fix worked and there was no unserviceablity.

At other times I wouldn't accept "it always does that" when complaining about a rough idle and a linkage was immediately adjusted and ultimately replaced. That didn't get written up in the MR either.

On another occasion I rendered an aircraft unserviceable without knowing it - so nothing in the maintenace release until a few days later.

While I am not and never will be a commercial pilot or operator, what does one do when you are in the middle of nowhere and you hit an emu on landing or discover the proverbial burned out landing light?

You are flying day VFR, is your aircraft unserviceable according to CASA?

Does the small dent in the leading edge render your aircraft unserviceable until it has been checked by a LAME?

Common sense tells us that the answer is that the aircraft is still fit for purpose in both cases, but what does CASA say?