PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 5th Jan 2013, 17:03
steveppl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got very poor vision in my right eye after a complicated retinal detachment operation in early November 2012, which was followed by a post operation glaucoma attack a few weeks later. I have a fold behind my macula which makes it very difficult to see things in my central focal point as there is a black line, and I cannot read using my right eye. Also images in my right eye appear lower than normal making double vision when I use both eyes. There was also damage to the optic nerve due to the glaucoma attack which has reduced my peripheral vision. The doctors are fitting me with a prism type lens. I am 49 years and hold a PPL from the Philippines CAAP for about 4 years now with around 200 hrs. I will probably lose my PPL when I go for the medical in Manila this July. Before this disaster happened to my right eye, I was actually planning to convert it to a JAR (EASA) PPL in England in late 2013 as I planned to pursue my dream job as a pilot in the General Aviation field when I retire at 55 (I'm 49 now). Reading these posts gives me hope to continue flying. I was wondering where (and/or who) is the best place in the UK to go for the medical with one bad eye and one good eye; obviously it would be better to go to someone who has experience with this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.