PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus hand-flying characteristics
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2013, 15:54
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for that, Clandestino, but I've just realised a careless error in my post: re the examples of "long-lasting commands".

I opined that the "landing flare is comparatively brief", which is true in terms of the time taken to rotate the a/c by only about 3 degrees. However, it overlooks the effect of Landing Mode, which - below a certain height (30ft in my FCOM) - requires the PF to deflect the stick progressively backwards: even to maintain a steady pitch-attitude. This feature goes some way to simulate the stick load on landing with traditional controls. Without Landing Mode, it would be easy to over-flare, as all AI FBW pilots know.

Am amending my post.

Gums,
Good to do business with you again, and I take your point on interconnection. The size and position of the stick really doesn't lend itself to either tactile or visual cues - assuming they were boot-strapped manually or electronically. That's not to say it doesn't matter; only that it's probably not practicable in the way it is with old-fashioned yokes. I remain concerned about what seems to be the persistent pot-stirring of some pilots, but you can only observe it from the P3 seat.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 5th Jan 2013 at 15:55.