PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - naming and shaming - cui bono?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2013, 15:52
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are right. I was just wondering how the media would know his name...unless someone told them?
Arrest records (including mugshots) are public in the U.S. in most cases. The fact that the alleged perp made it to the cockpit probably is the result of the time it takes to find someone to make a decision to breath test and the fact that if the pilot is stopped short of the plane, he or she will inevitably claim they were reporting sick and had no intent of operating the flight.

In recent years I've seem some of these cases handled very quietly with charges dropped and records sealed pending successful treatment of the drinking problem.

In the UK, American pilots have often been given suspended sentences or acquittals since hard time might negatively impact their flying career, e.g.:

Drunk United Airlines pilot E***** V******* W********* avoids jail sentence - NYPOST.com

Heathrow pilot was caught drunk at 9am about to fly to America | Mail Online

Cleared: The pilot who claimed he got drunk in his sleep | Mail Online

In the third link above the accused claims that he showed up at the airport in full uniform and passed though security to report sick:

At his three-day trial, he denied he had been intending to board the plane.

He told the jury: "I was drunk. I realised I wasn't going to work. I assumed I had lost my job. I figured the best thing to do was to tell Harvey."

Attempting to explain why a bottle of whisky he had bought the day before was now two-thirds full, he said the drink had disappeared overnight, adding that "strange things" sometimes happened in his sleep.
Even in the UK, it seems that the legal consequences are recently starting to increase:

Drunk pilot G***** L* P***** who didn't know where he was flying to jailed for 6 months | Mail Online

Last edited by Airbubba; 5th Jan 2013 at 16:01.