PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 4th Jan 2013, 23:28
checkthisout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot of Doha, no offense, but youre making a joke of yourself.
I know its a country based on religion, but keep religion out of contracts.

People around the world not coming from islamic coutries are used to take a contract for each other as word and a promise on both sides. In case one does not keep his contract, there is a possibility to go into court to cover your loss because of the situation. In many countries that are still developing, I say Qatar is still one of them, contracts are changed according to the need of the contractor just because he likes to do so. No unions allowed, no lawyers, no civil rights.

Still all this is not supposed to be negative, its just being realistic.

Lets say it drastically (I really hope no one does that) - if someone sells all his belongings back home to move to Doha and to buy an appartment there, all based on a signed contract, and then the company does not adhere to the contract (we call you later, and later, and later) - well, that guy is screwed. Financially, maybe personally with family life, who knows.
Its just an example after all.

Maybe that guy took a loan based on the contract or quit his previous job after he SIGNED with qatar airways. And we know that several FO have signed a contract before. Not an offer of employment. A contract.

But that guy will NEVER get any refunds for the expenses he got caused by the delay, ultimately caused by absolute inability of planning ahead.

In most places in the middle east a contract is not worth the paper it is printed on. If you talk for a foreigners side. For locals its different. Ive seen people reasoning it with the Quran: Youre allowed to lie to the misbelieving if it benefits you. Great. Thats all the proof we need.

I think the ME can be a great place to work. But unfortunately there are too many incompetent people in high positions that keep every piece of power and information to themselves.

Personally, I think disagreeable is right. He doesnt have any benefits on telling us his point of view. Of course it is good to be positive all the time. But also I have to admit that many things sound very familiar. I too know some people in Qatar that told me similar in confidence. Also, I have heard positive news as well on every side.

And concerning the low hour pilots <2500h TT: I know that initially Capt. Alkhayat tried everything he could to get competent proffessionals into the company. The new Capt Miller actually told people to "screw themselves" and "try again the next life".

As this is a rumours network, everyone can post whatever he likes. In my point of view - I am being rather negative on the outcome of 2013 after what I have heard 1st and 2nd handedly. And I still know many people working there. In HR, Flightcrew(cockpit and cabin), recruitment, operations... As a matter of fact, many people resigned in December, others regularely jumpship, some change over accross the lake, many get terminated. The new airport is "about" to open and there are many aircraft on order. Yes. For the long term, Qatar Airways needs Pilots.

But looking at the beginning of the post reminds me how fast things can change and according to the information I have at hand, it might be very likely that those waiting for a long time already, might be kicked out of the pool. What did the "november update" say? ease of SO, seizement of FO... hm well. that leaves us with DEC, just as they are looking for on all the recruitment platforms.
I guess Qatar couldnt have figured that earlier - or rather invite DEC in the pool. Or maybe UPGRADE some SFO that are waiting for their upgrade since months/years.

Information policy is just as screwed as the rest. Often they just forgot about things and then they pretend it never happend. And my guess is, that someone at Qatar had an initial plan, left, and now the new recruitment is puzzeled with what was intended and created this pool thing. Without seniority or transparicy.

Again, dont get me wrong, I like Qatar Airways, Doha, and most of the people there. But so many things are screwed up. And to be honest, I guess most foreigners there wouldnt work in the desert with that much of misleading information, if they really had a well paid job offer on good aircraft back home. And the reason why aviation in the middle east gets bigger and bigger is among many reasons, the big subvention of the airlines by state, ultimately by oil/gas. If there werent any of it, people would most likely not come. This is just being realistic.

To close this, also I would come, because it is well paid for good and hard work. If it would be that easy, I guess everybody would be happy. But it aint.

Last edited by checkthisout; 4th Jan 2013 at 23:29.