PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Look inside when very close to touchdown?
Old 4th Jan 2013, 22:05
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look where you're (NOT) going.

Please don't try this on Rwy 27 at Heraklion when the wind is light-moderate North Westerly.

Everything looks perfect up to just xbove the threshold and suddenly the aircraft is pointing towards the right hand grass, lights and cliff!

Happened to me several times on the 737NGs various and my theory is a gust or rotor off the upwind cliff blows on the fin/rudder surfaces at just the wrong stage of flight and rapid cautious correction is needed to avoid excursion.

I now include it as part of my HER approach briefing, especially to F/Os who are new to the field or haven't had the pleasure of this fright before.

Maybe old lags on this forum can quote other favourite fields where this fin-only x-wind event occurs?

Re screwed up landings, with 42 years flying and 18k+ hours I can and do get the odd one not quite the way I'd like, but hey, who's perfect?

Imagine explaining to der management what exactly you were doing before just before the ACMS recorded a heavy landing or tailscrape and they showing you the relevant handling instructions and asking why did you deviate? Then you may wish you'd kicked this habit earlier................