View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2013, 20:01
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog, Mist, 27 Degrees F, Northwest wind 10-15 kts....overcast....dark.....2700
hour pilot....

Officials look for answers in Iowa helicopter crash
Answers??

Add the reported patchy freezing precip from the article....I'd be willing to bet ice would feature prominently in the investigation. I can't believe I am the only one seeing this.

It would (or better could) explain not only the power loss but the ineffectiveness of the auto.

Devil 49: I agree on auto to TD trg. Insist on it. The whole point of trg on a particular a/c type is because they bahave differently, that includes the auto. Unpracticed skills deteriorate.

Grenville: I applaud your conviction but if your constraints were implemented today we would not only shut down most EMS operations in the world, but also offshore (among others). And even all Cat A, multi-crew, IFR operations would crash if that was all that changed.

The safest piece of equipment in an EMS helicopter is a crew who understands that it is not a 'mission', 'mercy flight', or 'heroic act'. It is a job! Our job is to safely operate the helicopter. If a layman thinks the result is amazing has nothing to do with it. Regardless of how it looks on the outside, in the cockpit it should be just another day at the office.

Example: http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/504...operation.html

Sometimes the right answer is NO! Even if that means someone WILL DIE. Anyone incapable of understanding this shouldn't be in the seat.

Even this won't stop every accident, but it will certainly be a start.

Last edited by pilot and apprentice; 4th Jan 2013 at 20:02. Reason: to add example