PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2013, 13:34
Centre cities

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facilities

BHX needs to get its infrastructure in place before there is any expansion of passenger numbers. I know the airport managers are at the mercy of UKBA but the service delivered at immigration is pathetic (lack of staff; what seems to be a deliberate refusal to make use of the e-gates). If there was a third 777 full arriving at the same time as EK and PIA then the immigration queue would be right down to the end of the new pier and, in all probability, they would have to prevent passengers from de-boarding aircraft until the queues had died down.

Regarding the above comment I have to agree. Returning from Malaga in the summer around midnight the terminal 2 arrivals area was closed, the passengers were left on the aircraft for 20 minutes whilst buses were arranged. There then followed a tour of the apron before we were deposited at the end of the international pier on terminal 1 to walk to immigration. It was easy to see why we were left at the end of the pier, the queue was snaking along the pier and the escalators were closed because the queue stretched far beyond them. Staff were allowing passengers down the stairs only when there was room for them at the bottom.

Most of my experiences at BHX have been good, certainly better than just up the M42 but they really need to sort the immigration area out (get rid of the stairs and install a ramp) and more baggage belts are desperately required.

Terminal 2 is a tip and this needs sorting as soon as possible as it not to the standard of terminal 1.

The BHX experience 7/10 but would be 9/10 if they sorted the arrivals.

Centre cities .