PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dutch TV reports on 'Ryanair pilots denominated alarm over safety'
Old 4th Jan 2013, 09:45
1stspotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The second episode of the KRO Reporter programme is online now.
Most part is in dutch, an ex Ryanair pilot is speaking english language.
Reporter - Mayday Mayday deel 2

The effect on social media of the two programmes can be seen in the link below. It shows the activity on dutch social media on Ryanair (not sure what is measured) and the sentiment.

Coosto blog – Ryanair perikelen

The second episode had a lot of repeats of the first episode. The same error: again was mentioned that out of 17 diversions from Madrid to Valencia only three aircraft (all Ryanair) declared mayday. The programme did not mention Lan Chile had an engine flame out because of low fuel.

I believe the makers of the programme cut corners in their research by just asking a few people about their opinions. All of them have an agenda against Ryanair. I guess that is what media is about.

The most revealing part was a confession of one or two pilots who did fly while they were not fit to fly (in one reason too tired to fly). Other pilots refused to answer the question whether they ever flew while not fit to.
Besides the story of the four current pilots and the one ex-pilot the programme did not show any hard evidence (memo's etc) of pressure. They did show the fuel league table. But not a prove of pressure by the management to keep extra fuel to an undesired minimum.

BTW: can any other Ryanair pilot identify its coworker pilot on the crewcode?

There must be more than 1 ex-Ryanair pilot who like to reveal their feelings/experiences I guess.

I do believe the culture of the management is sick. I do believe there is pressure. But that is based on reading many forum, not on the programme.
Also not all pilots will feel the pressure. It will strongly depend on the mood/character and backbone of the base captain.

Read to many stories about crew members being sacked 11 months after the start for unknow reasons etc. Also pilots flying not employed by Ryanair but flying on a hour based contract is not healty. This is acceptable for IT or other business but not in aviation. Do think the EU should stop this. Easyjet goes the same way.