PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 23:17
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr1862,

Take a deep breath, and remind yourself why you are there. A couple of years ago, I followed the progress of a group of students who were all exactly in the same position as yourself. Almost all of that group are now flying as first officers on modern jets for a Uk airline on full time permanent contracts of employment.

This is a 15 month training commitment that by its very nature needs to maintain a fairly strict timetable. Whilst it might be very frustrating that there needs to be flexibility to achieve those timetabled constraints, you only have to look at the training footprints that are available to you, to see that the majority of students do complete the requisite stages in the times allocated.

The accommodation that I saw, all seemed to be adequate private housing sourced from private landlords. This accomodation was shared on the basis of a private bedroom for each student. That accommodation seemed to be in surrounding areas up to a radius of about 15 miles. Not every student had access to their own vehicle, but it did seem that an effort was made to put somebody (often more than one,) with a vehicle in each house, and it was up to the group to sort out there own arrangements on that basis. I don't think that was always a convenient arrangement, but it seemed to work out more often than not. Perhaps an early introduction into the art of CRM?

In New Zealand the students were accommodated in clearways a group of purpose built single story blocks, with individual bedrooms and en-suite shower rooms, together with shared kitchen, gym and lounge facilities. Day to day transport was largely satisfied by small groups buying some of the oldest and highest mileage cars know to man, and sharing them between small groups of themselves. The students were there for about 7 months and the flying programme was subject to constant modification in order to allow for weather, instructor availability, and keeping each group at broadly the same level. Sometimes this involves flying every day, and sometimes many days can pass with no rostered flying at all. Flying aside, there are ground lectures and briefings that require airport attendance. Most students do complete all the requisite stages and examinations within this planned period. The following days flying programme was usually released the preceding day at around 4pm, and seemed to be eagerly anticipated. Students did have a timetable that provided for days off, so despite the programme it is possible to plan for personal recreation.

Flying by its very nature can be easily disrupted (just ask any airline pilot!) A programme flown may have very little relation to that notified at the planning stage. If you are expecting little disruption, then you are not only going to be very disappointed by the training, but you are going to be extremely disappointed by the reality of the career you have chosen!

Going back to the group I followed. I am sure there were times they felt fed up and dejected. However that was far outweighed by passing the ATPL writtens. Flying out to New Zealand. The first solo (where applicable.) Passing the staged flying tests. Passing the CPL flight test. Coming back to the UK and (back into rented accomodation) passing the Instrument rating test. Completing the AQC. Starting that first morning with the airline back in groundschool. The first simulator excercise in the full motion simulator. The first circuit in the real thing. The first day with 200 passengers sat behind you.

For this particular group they achieved all of that not 18 months from where you are now. A lot of friendships were forged, many of which are likely to become life long friendships. Most of them are still sharing houses only now they pay the rental costs directly themselves. They also all have their own cars.

So as I said at the beginning take a deep breath and remind yourself why you are there. Nothing you have written seems out of the ordinary, or at variance with what I have seen for myself. Nothing seems out of the ordinary if you transpose it to an airline environment.

If the accommodation was leaking and riddled with mold, or the training was not being provided, I would have some sympathy. Enjoy your long lunches and tea breaks, because I supect that isn't always going to be the case. You have an opportunity that many people would give their eye teeth for. Try and be a little more patient and fit in with the programme however it flows from time to time. It will stand you in good stead for the future. If it really isn't for you, then yes, cut your losses. If (as I suspect) that isn't really the case, I am not sure where I would recommend you go to improve your future prospects.

Last edited by Bealzebub; 8th Jan 2013 at 20:19.