PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Partial engine failure in C182 and emergency landing video.
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 23:01
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Private_flyer

One thing though. I didn't hear a radio call at all once he committed to landing. That would be as important as flying the plane should you need medical care post landing I would have thought.
The least important thing to do in this situation is to make a radio call. The most important thing is to fly the aircraft, the second most important thing is to fly the aircraft etc etc.

I was extremely sad to see the accident report for the tomahawk EFATO accident about a year and ahalf ago. The engine failed at 300 feet and the pilot did not lower the nose. The aircraft stalled and crashed with fatal results to the occupants. BUT in the moments from engine failure to stall/crash/die the pilot transmitted a distress message. If only he had concentrated on quickly establishing the glide attitude and managing the flightpath to a wings level, level attitude touchdown, instead of talking on the radio........

I think that unfortunately flight schools have to answer for this as a too often the radio call is given a level of importance that it simply doesn't deserve when training for the engine failure scenario.