PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra-curricular activities?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 21:05
naturals

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided to take part in the Duke of Edinburgh Award (maybe as part of my time as a volunteer for the cadets) but I'm worried about the physical section, not because I'm lazy, it's because I'm not interested in team sports like Football, Rugby, etc. and I know team sports are looked upon favourably by airlines.Should I do one that I'm interested or participate in a team sport? I am interested in canoeing but due to time I think that would be more suited to the expedition section.
I finished my D of E many many years ago (so long ago I forgot to even put it on my BA FPP application!) so my memory may have faded somewhat but are sports like paragliding not in the physical section? You'd be surprised how much you learn about theory of flight, airspace, radio communications as well as the general decision making process in the air from a couple of weeks of paragliding lessons. PM me if you want some hints on where you could go to train.

It's about the cheapest form of airsports you can do and very addictive!

It may not be a team sport but I really wouldn't worry - you can't take on hobbies for the sake of appeasing the HR team - do stuff that interests you; as others have said they'll see straight through someone doing team sports purely to 'prove' they're a team player.