PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 19:25
jcjeant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

DW
I told you - I cannot talk about the info I have, or it's source, without permission from the person who told me. As I do not have that, my hands are tied and I'm sorry.
So .. it's seems that for you BZ was just spokesman for Airbus
But ...
Bernard Ziegler was the most influential figure in developing the cockpit design and fly-by-wire control system for the Airbus airliners. He proposed that numerous technological innovations be applied to Airbus aircraft; for example, using composites, twin-engine configuration for the A300, fly-by-wire and many others. He was the guiding force in the creation of the flight envelope protection, incorporated in the Airbus flight-control software. This innovation allows the pilot to apply the maximum control forces considered necessary, while preventing inadvertent inputs that could place the aircraft outside the safety margin. This feature is considered by many to be highly beneficial in avoiding unusual attitudes in flight and in safely maximizing the effectiveness of evasive maneuvers in response to GPWS warnings.
For his efforts in advancing the fly-by-wire cause, he was honoured by the Flight Safety Foundation in 1998. He retired from Airbus after 25 years of service in 1997.
It is a wonder why Airbus (and many stakeholders in the world of civil aviation) has always put forward (publicly) the role of BZ and not that of the famous test pilot and technical advisor
It is even BZ who receives the honors ...
Airbus was lucky (and BZ too) that his brilliant career was not stopped by this sad event
In August 1961 the Vallee Blanche Aerial Tramway was badly damaged when an aeroplane of the French Air Force piloted by Bernard Ziegler tore its hauling cable. Three cars crashed and six people were killed.[1]

Last edited by jcjeant; 3rd Jan 2013 at 19:32.