PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dutch TV reports on 'Ryanair pilots denominated alarm over safety'
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 18:52
170to5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing guys....

Just because an airline hasn't had a crash, doesn't necessarily mean it is completely safe.

Taking Ryanair as an example, because we're talking about them (also, I won't argue that other carriers have their near misses, but the ones I've heard coming from Ryanair are as scary as I've heard without it all ending in a heaped pile of metal)...

What about the orbit on finals that took a crew below the elevation of Cork airport, leading ATC to hit the crash button? What about the well-publicised incident in Rome with the bereaved Captain? What about the aeroplane that failed to go-around when instructed to twice in Dublin, flying at 200kts at a mile finals, barely avoiding an A330 that was taking off? What about the runway excursions that seem to stay out of the press somehow?

Does the fact that none of these serious incidents led to deaths mean that RYR is an extremely safe carrier? Or just an extremely lucky one?

There are, I'm sure, far more stories of crews (many of who are my friends) saving a very unpleasant situation from being exacerbated, as in all carriers, but this idiotic attitude, most disappointingly from pilots, that "no crashes = safe operation" drive me nuts. There are so many examples proving that isn't the case, it's foolish to believe otherwise.

And of course, the point that exasperates us all, whoever we work for, is that punters will only ever worry about how much their suitcase is costing them...