PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 16:37
wilyflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harvard

Catch up on Harvard engine failures post 3130
There were a number of unexplained engine faiiures during the post war decade. I had two of them,
Some time after 1956 I read an RAF report explaining a mod to prevent slack linkage off setting the fuel cock from "Both" to an effective "Half" , thus starving the engine when full throttle was called for
My first was under training at Feltwell when dive bombing at the bombing range. Force landed on a gentle downhill slope and finished in the next field " Congratulations Wilyflier, how did you mange to get into that tiny field?
But black mark because "we cant find anything wrong so you must have mishandled the engine."
But it was a mystery, so no courtmartial
Second was years later at Tangmere when I caused delay to a big wing take off because i insisted on the longest runway (Well of course I insisted , a previous F700 entry was...Aircraft recovered from beach after unexplained engine stoppage, Ground tested and found serviceable!!) Got up to 50 ft and it happened again. Nobody took much notice, as the big wing continued in some confusion because the wing leaders R/T was stuck on Transmit

Tea time again