PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Premium" broadband ISP's UK
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 16:35
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Premium" broadband ISP's UK

Are there any?

Background: Landline connection, not fibre optic but only 400 yards or so from the exchange. Up until a couple of months ago the download speed was super, enough to watch, say, youtube without buffering at all. Now, buffering most of the time, longer to download the vid than to actually watch it. I've had this situation before and fired off a communication to TalkTalk the "service provider" and it speeded up to previous high standard. This time no. Just the usual automated responses in the email regarding what i can do...NO, i know what the line is capable of, and the equipment is the same. I've tried 2 seperate PC's, modern routers, and both are creepy crawly slow compared to before.

Now, the crux of my question is; are there any ISP's that will give me what the line is capable of for a premium tariff? Or has it all gone the way of the loco airline? People will put up with any cr@p as long as its cheap?? In fact i'm on an old tiscali tariff. I don't want dirt cheap broadband i want broadband that actually works! It did before!! I know also that TalkTalk and the rest have to hire BT's lines (but i still pay line rental to Talktalk) is this one of BT's ploys to lever people back to them? Mrs Thatcher privatised BT, unfortunately she privatised a virtual monopoly. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. Had a flash player update come up today, started download and "error/timed out" before it had finished...so slow.

Last edited by Private jet; 3rd Jan 2013 at 16:41.