PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Giving passengers control
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 04:08
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awqward, yes you are correct in so far as the stupid government requirement we now have for security passes and secondary locks since 9/11. The ASIC is issued by CASA after we have been cleared by ASIO (something like your MI5 I think) so those nasty Taliban types can't get licences.These cost about $A300 and need be renewed every 2 years. Likewise the secondary locks will stop them pinching a C172 and (unless they have a simple bulk cutter with them) flying into buildings. The vast majority of pilots reckon it is stupid too. But we are stuck with it unfortunately. As far as the 500ft rule there is good reason for that. In Australia we have 1000's of miles of high voltage wires between centers strung from towers often well over 100ft high many in remote areas which are nigh impossible to see from the air.Underground cabling is too expensive amongst other problems with such vast distances. As a German pilot visiting OZ found a few years ago, when he flew down the Stuart Hwy in a C172 at low level illegally, just for fun, until he hit one killing himself and all on board in the process.
Formation flying with no training? really is this allowed in the UK? It shouldn't be in my opinion if your flying within a few metres of someone elses wingtip you would want to know what your doing or you could bring the whole lot down. But not all is bad either. We have a night VFR rating here which I use regularly,and find very useful. I believe some parts of europe this is not allowed?
Off topic a bit but one area I am glad we have strict licensing is the electrical industry. Unless you have served an appenticeship or simular and passed the theory exams you cannot work as an electrician. Unlike many parts of europe including the UK where someone can be an offsider then either be promoted to tradesman or go out on their own without ever doing a formal course. I know this as I worked over there in the early 70's and some of the wiring I saw particularly down the south of europe Spain,Italy etc would curl your hair, and never be allowed here thank god.
The Australian licensing system is a problem with immigrants wishing to work here without proper qualifications and even some professionals such as Doctors,engineers etc do not get recognised without passing the local entry exams. That is fair enough too as every country has the right to set their own standards whether we all like or agree with them or not. Me personally, I'm 5 years off retirement so not my problem

Last edited by mostlytossas; 3rd Jan 2013 at 04:41.