PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 3rd Jan 2013, 04:07
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from TP:
Out of interest are you anti side-stick or just anti-the lack of interconnection?
For my part definitely anti-lack of connection. A sidestick is the modern way of guiding an airliner, permitting a table! But it needs to have a backdrive.

from CS:
Could a sidestick system work in both directions, and would it be accurate enough and quick enough?
Is a visual “on instrument” procurement of your fellow’s input, as propagated and necessary on the Bus, accurate and quick enough?? This extensively used argument is futile, don’t you see? I have always said that I don’t ask for a precisely duplicated input, I simply need the tactile presence and direction. Any rumble-stick of the next door game shop does the job, and with almost no weight and cost penalty.

but the Boeing FBW fleet is still miniscule in comparison with Airbus’s
So you call 1000 T7s a minuscule fleet, statistically not worthy of standing up to the Bus FBW fleet? Who has a jaundiced view of how statistics work?

from CG:
The 1 or 2 people polarising this debate are non pilots who do have parochial views and I think most people would prefer if they were given minimal time and the professional pilots here continue with their interesting and informative discussions.
Would be great, wouldn’t it?

Last edited by Gretchenfrage; 3rd Jan 2013 at 04:08.