PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOM Draft TAF review
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 22:29
alphacentauri

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Whilst I am always keen for a bit of AsA bashing, I don't think this is coming from AsA. The TAF's are generated by BOM and just forwarded and published on the AsA system. You can get TAF's from the BOM website as well (yes I know its not authorised). The expense side of providing TAF (ie infrastructure and software) is held by BOM not AsA

The TAF review has come from BOM not AsA. In fact AsA are pushing BOM to expand and upgrade their weather services through out the country, but so far BOM are not coming to the party. As an example, AsA are trying to implement BARO-VNAV approaches Australia-wide to help us get the ICAO tick in the box for APV. Unfortunately we can only publish BARO-VNAV to aerodromes with an AWIS/AWIB/ATIS. AsA has been trying to get BOM to upgrade all the aerodromes, but BOM has pretty much told AsA to 'bang it squarely'

Looks like the issue is at the BOM end. Unfortunately, withdrawal of TAF's means that minima at 78 aerodromes will be going up another 50ft. All this in an era where we should be lowering minima not increasing it

Disappointing