PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cancelling long-service award concessions.....
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 21:02
Bond'll Do

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various rather strange replies here.....

Various rather strange replies here......

Perhaps with the usual chat network sites some have failed to read from the beginning?

I thank those with similar experiences for their confidential sharing back by e-mail.

As I re-iterate, yet again, any 'staff travel' for long-service was both a verbal contract and a written one in my early days of joining 'X' airline.

What seems to be happening now is that 'X' airline on whatever whim it is/convenience is deciding to renege based on, as far as I can say, some silly issue over lost baggage for 4 days. (amounting to approx. £200).

After 30 years of dedicated Professional service to 'X' company, I had only decided to use what was called an 'annual award' ticket once. (I had the ability to use Staff travel at the usual standby unlimited rates, including new premium options etc.,). On this occasion, after I duly submitted my genuine and frugal clothes purchases receipts, I was e-mailed by the legal department of 'X' airline and informed quite simply that as these 'benefits' were seen as available to be revoked at any time...they were choosing to do that in my case.

I sought clarification into this matter as this e-mail 'missive' was sent by an employee of a 'long-winded' Departmental name that I had never heard of in 'X' airline. I actually thought it was a kinda 'spoof'/joke e-mail as I still have several senior ex-colleagues in various departments with that airline.

To my surprise, this turned out to be a genuine e-mail and I took this matter up to current C.E.O. level in my incredulity...and in fact asking if there had been anything incorrect in my behaviour whilst using this ticket. e.g. I've heard of people having Staff Travel removed for being drunk, complaining to staff etc., I have never had any report during my tenure at 'X' airline over decades or since.

So, to close this case, it appears currently that this has happened to a few other people with no reason given from the airline involved. I am grateful for those responses as they help me try to 'figure out' where I may have transgressed. I have not. I have a bitter-taste left in my mouth as to why this has happened.

As I re-iterate, I feel very lucky to have a sufficient-enough retirement income to be able to afford to travel frequently both short-haul and long-haul.

I genuinely do not care which airline I fly on, as long as I deem them to be 'safe'. I've done the basic economy seating over my long career and with myself and older family I wish to travel in a larger seat than basic offerings.

For example, when I used my 'annual reward ticket' with my family member, if circumstances (airline OPS on the day) had meant that I was only offered an economy seat or jumpseat, I would have gladly declined and returned to my hotel either to take a 'firm' flight the next day or, if there was an ongoing problem....just pay for a 'premium economy' or business-class seat. End of story. I do NOT expect nor ever have that any form of travel benefit is guaranteed premium seat available either to current staff or to long-service retirees, like myself.

I trust that this matter is now closed unless someone who has read the full original post has some other 'gem' to offer. That's all.

I've made this matter as clear as I can.

Happy New Year to all readers.