PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restored Lanc
Thread: Restored Lanc
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 19:52
pontifex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst not wishing to douse peoples comendable optimsm and keenness to get her into the air, please consider this: when Charles Church bought the Strathellan Lanc in 1987, the CAA required him to have it rebuilt by the original constructors (i.e.Avro/ BAe at Woodford). I saw it often there in the hangar and was able to inspect it minutely after it had been disassembled. It was in fantastic condition with virtually no corrosion on any important piece of the structure. It was a pity the hangar roof fell on it and destroyed it before it could be rebuilt. Also, in 1986, Woodford phoned the BBMF to tell them that they had found a couple of pieces of steel when clearing out an old shed which they had identified as castings for lanc mainspars prior to milling. They were quickly nabbed and stored in the BBMF store hangar at Woodhall Spar. Without those two bits of meatal the BBMF machine would no longer be flying as they were used when notional fatigue life expired. What chance do the Pantons have to repeat that sort of luck or to overcome CAA caution? I hope they can, but I doubt it.