PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 15:30
SLFinAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting reading for an SLF, especially the continuing A vs B debate. Personally I do not fly "A" ever as a matter of choice. I firmly believe that the overall level of pilot skill is significantly different.

I recognize that this is not an entirely objective view point...however I do believe that the very name Airbus is telling....the end goal was to create a flying bus service....and the end result has been a drive to the lowest common denominator of pilot "skill" possible.

AF447 epitomizes the inherent issues. The current automation levels created a "qualified" flight crew entirely incapable of dealing with what should have been a relatively minor issue (which had happened dozens of times). From my perspective the entire A culture encourages an almost total dependence on automation for cadet pilots (not sure if that's the correct term).

So when you have a "pilot" who's grown up in a dedicated Airbus culture moving directly into an SO/FO role after 250 hours(?) then flown 800-1000 hours...how much actual hand flying has he done?

While I recognize that current generation planes from both A & B are safer then ever and statistically equivalent I think that those safety improvements now bring pilot skill to the forefront.

Personally the only buses I ride in don't have wings