PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ACA 'ProPilot'
Thread: ACA 'ProPilot'
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 12:35
Becketts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As with any flight school (or any business) the people with bad experiences are much more likely to post than the people with good experiences.

Just to add a few facts to some of the above posts...The students (no instructor) who over shot the runway at the Everglades were in violation of school policy by being there (2400ft runway is well under the company mins), they also botched the landing and failed to go around - you can hardly blame the school for that.

The accident in 2010 mentioned by Arunaki (above) was not in an OFT/ACA aircraft, but did involve students and an instructor from the school.

The engine fire - I know for a fact that engine fire drills are hammered into the students throughout the entire training regime, so again - schools fault that the students didn't follow procedures?

I wholeheartedly agree that the command of the english language is somewhat lacking amongst some of the students at the school, and I can't comment on the package they're sold. However, any proactive student browsing these forums will do their homework before spending thousands of dollars on a course. It will be obvious to anybody that they will need to speak english, and if they don't already then they should learn to. Even if you speak enough just to get by, it's going to extend your training by a fair amount of hours. I have seen people take 70-80 hours to get a PPL (Isn't 60-70 the US average?) but then I've also seen others (at this school!) pass well with less than 50.

Many of the problems come from the attitude (that some of!) the students seem to have - get by with as little effort as possible. Every pilot here will have done some sort of solo hour building to gain experience, much of that cross country. It's designed to be a learning experience, however it's treated as an inconvenience. The amount of pilots that I have seen hour building by following the GPS on an iPad (rather than map and compass) was disappointing. This level of effort spills across into their instrument training and subsequently their commercial training - and then they complain that the course has cost $$$'s more than it should have.

I'm not saying any of this to defend the school, just to demonstrate that it's not just the school at fault, it's also the students mentality.