PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dutch TV reports on 'Ryanair pilots denominated alarm over safety'
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 10:53
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dannyalliga

You are too close to the problem...........take a few steps back and you will see it more clearly.

The facts are the RYR fuel policy is tight but within the regulations, but just meeting the regulations is not always safe.

The documentary program had an agenda to be critical to Ryanair and that they have done but at the expence of not telling the whole truth about the shortcomings of the Spanish ATC system.

Having worked a damp lease for Ryanair I have to say that I did not like the attitude of the company towards the crews one little bit but I would never take less fuel than I was happy with and I was questioned as to why I had that fuel loaded. Some of the other pilots regarded these questions about fuel loads as a subtle form of intimidation........ I treated them as an inquiry into fuel policy and found that when justified on safety grounds I had no problems, others seemed to not have the backbone to stand up to such enquirys from the management and found it easier to fly around with flight plan fuel that they were not happy with rather than face off the management.

Keeping the airline staff in a constant state of unease is a Ryanair tactic to get the most from people, I think that the TV people should have used that as a starting point for the documentary and looked at the way this state of unease is achived and the resulting effects on the operation as a whole.

Now that would be a documentary worth watching !