PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hurn Airport (or Bournemouth if you insist)
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 07:56
CWO Geoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Hurn info.

Hi there,
I did my Air Traffic Control Assistant's course at Hurn in April 1962. From there I was posted to Heathrow and managed to get a posting back to Hurn in early 1963. I worked in Hurn ATC in '63 and transferred to the ATCEU/School of ATC in late '63. Did quite a few flights as a Safety Pilot in the MoA Doves and took many B&W photos of visiting aircraft at Hurn. Was on duty the day that the BAC-111 (G-ASHG) crashed in Wiltshire.

Applied for and was selected to emigrate to Australia by the Australian Dept. of Civil Aviation in Feb '65 and eventually joined the RAAF as an Air Traffic Control Officer 1966-2002. Have fond memories of Hurn days. Lived in Christchurch and belonged to 606 (BCHS) Sqn ATC and then 171 (Christchurch) Sqn Air Training Corps and finally with 2330 (Homefield School) squadron ATC - did my ATC Gliding and PPL training at Christchurch.

Does anyone remember Laurie Earle whose wife (Carol) ran the original restaurant at the Airport? Anyone around from the Hurn ATC 1963, or the School/ATCEU in '64, or anyone who was in any of those three ATC squadrons in the '50s? Still live in Australia but most willing to correspond with anyone from my days at Christchurch and Hurn (email: gjksau at yahoo.com.au ).

Last edited by CWO Geoff; 14th Mar 2019 at 07:22.