PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ad in Flight International 21-27 Jan "JAA Pilots Available"
Old 1st Feb 2003, 11:45
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well this is certainly a novel way of trying to pick up the first job and I suppose some credit is due for doing something original. The previous post does highlight big problems with the modern way of training though, people are still been sucked in with the schools line of 'once you are finished with us you are airline pilots who will be flying the big jets'. O.K. some people do get lucky and end up flying jets straight out of flight school, however they are very few and far between.

My main question is 'Where do instructors get such a bad rap?'. I gained my first 1000 hours as an instructor and can honestly say that it improves your experience and flying skills hugely. Time 'tootling' about in the local area is invaluable. Besides at the end of the day if you are in this career because you love the flying you will be willing to do any work that allows you to fly without having to pay for it. If this sort of work doesn't interest you because you want to wear the ray bans and fly the passenger jets then maybe you will have a shock in store when you realise the realities of being a modern day pilot. The money is not great, the hours are pretty crap and you have to outlay for your own training. The reward comes fromt he fact that you love flying and are willing to accept all the bad to get the good.