PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps (AIRTC)/ AAFC Alumni
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 03:01
really old cadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keg,

Thanks for the info re Lindsay.

Saw another name that bought back memories, Frank Barclay. Frank started at 9FLT, just before I left in 1974. He was an ex RAAF pilot, flew Mitchells in the Korean war I think. When 9FLT was disbanded I don't remember where he went, it might have to the Jannali Boys High flight, but cannot remember him being there. It was about the time Col Palmer was promoted from AC to corporal in the AIRTC staff. Interestingly staff were Auxiliary Air Force in my day, as opposed to Reserve Air Force. They were nicknamed the 'Rocket Squad' because of the triangular patch worn on their uniforms.

I saw mentioned various posts re courses conducted at Wagga. I did my CUO's couse at RAAF Wagga in January 1972. It was 3 weeks of hot and hard work. Anyway at the end of the course we were paraded waiting for the buses to arrive. The couse commander made an annoucement that if anyone had souvenired any items including cutlery, that we had 5 mins to return it no questions asked. After that trouble! At the end of the 5 minutes something like 200 plus knives, forks and spoons were returned to the OR's mess. Several dozens rounds of live ammunition and a OR's RAAF cap badge. No wonder they were glad to see the end of the ants....

Russell