PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 1st Jan 2013, 22:30
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish

If you so much as an instructor lay a finger on a recruit/trainee in the ADF without their permission you are asking to be charged
Maybe in Australia, but most definitely not in the Armed Forces in, say, the UK, the US, or even NZ. I have relatives in all three and they had a pretty good laugh at your assertion. You don't even understand the point of the training. Once again, Australia leads the way... world leader in PC...

Screaming and yelling and prodding is not an effective form of communication or getting peoples attention at all.
Good, we are in agreement, that's exactly what I said.

To put that another way, raising your voice, let alone prodding or smacking, is a sign of immaturity and/or stupidity in an instructor.
Whilst I agree about the "smacking" the use of one's voice in these situation s is an acquired art that you clearly haven't mastered. Read what I actually wrote. Correct use of the voice is the hallmark of a good instructor

Racing yachts etc... watching the leading America's cup boats in action via all the on-board cameras reveals that they are anything but a silent environment. Lots of shouting going on.

I've seen all sorts of yellers and screamers
Yes... BUT THAT ISN'T WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT!

If I want to raise a students stress level, which I agree is sometimes necessary and relevent
I never go out to raise a student's stress level... just to get their attention. Statements like that confirm to me that you have no experience at all of airline-level instruction.

The Angelou quote - very touchy-feely I'm sure, but complete nonsense in the training environment. I can remember many things that I have learned over the years, but I have no idea how I was feeling at the time, and mostly can't recall who the instructor was either... but the lesson remains.

As with Anthill, your last statement tells me all I need to know about your level of professionalism and true approach to relationships. Perhaps if you had spent less time pursuing the corporate dream, and more time becoming a professional pilot, you would have a better idea about this stuff.