PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalls in ground effect....
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2013, 19:11
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hawk37

Of course I do not know what article you read. You quote the word 'wiil' . I would not agree that. I would accept 'may'.

The differences in airflow round a wing in the presence of the ground plane as opposed the same wing with no ground plane are considerable and further may vary with the type of aerofoil section, the way the aerofoil may vary along the span, any twist in the wing, its planform and it's aspect ratio.

While many pilots look for (and even expect or insist on) a simple 'one answer that fits all', to may complex questions regarding aerodynamics the fact is they are likely to be hoping in vain.

Plus in this case we have not even discussed the position of the AoA sensor on the aircraft and the resultant effect of the ground plane on its reading!

One of the reasons all modern airliners have to demonstrate a takeoff during which the fuselage rear end has been dragged along the ground from as low a speed as the controls will allow it to be placed there is to demonstrae that you cannot accidentally stall the wing on the ground and prevent unstick. This requirement being a legacy of a Comet 1 accident back in the 50s.

JF