PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'KLM also takes risks by taking as less as possible fuel' according politician
Old 1st Jan 2013, 15:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems some of you never worked or know about working in a lowcost environment.

I had been TRE in 2 LoCo's for 14 years. My contention is that crews should be educated in making sensible fuel calculations. Sensible can be minimum. They should be trusted and not pressurised into cutting corners. There should be a monitoring system to ensure crews are not being wasteful whilly nilly. If they are they are not exercising good judgement. Taking a little bit extra means nothing. A tank of fuel is a tank of time. If you need it take it; if you don't then don't. Desk jockeys should not be calling the shots on the day. Is it true some airlines pre-load fuel to minimum for first flights? If so this could be seen as pressure as it could cause a delay if more fuel was requested. This delay would need explaining and some might be willing to depart, uncomfortably. The problem would come if you delayed, took extra, and then landed with it still in the tanks. Difficult to justify with hind-sight. But at dispatch your gut & experience feeling told you it was needed to be safe and comfortable. That should be respected. Crews need to be trusted. If they have created this situation for themselves by always taking a bit extra for wife & kids then it is reasonable to ask for an explanation and to take steps if there is none. It is a business with massive costs and there needs to be trust and respect for the professionalism of both sides. That seems to be under threat and needs redressing.