PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filton To Close.
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2013, 12:06
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Company I worked for in the early 80s used Filton regularly for their BAC111 and HS125s.It was delightful and as stated close to major routes into London and the North.Our "Big Oggas" also found it useful for their convoys of Rolls's to find easily ,without getting lost in Undeground CarParks and having to hire a replacement Rolls for the Harrods Run!!!Customs clearance was the only problem,as sometimes we never knew how many pax were going to appear.This had to be prebooked,and eventually caused us to move to Lulsgate!I hadly ever managed to get in ,due Fog,and the journey of round and round and another roundabout by road was dreadful.How you can close a fabulous Airfied as Filton,and use Lulsgate is quite beyond me!!!I had flown in some Harvards from Koksyde for Ken Fxxxxxxy of Lulsgate Air Services back in the late 60s/early 70s,and the condition and services then were the same 10+years later.Then in the 90s I flew Race Horses in several times and once more it was terrible compared with Filton,which again was delightful and cooperative with the Handling required.I still have the Rolls Heritage Oak Leaf tie for having done so many Engine Courses there!!!Happy memories of Johnny Jones and Johnny Danes,not to mention Buster Paine,and the enormous inside of a Centaurus crankcase and crankshaft with its cannonball like ball balance.

Last edited by FAStoat; 1st Jan 2013 at 13:10.