PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking risks when you don't have to - Single engine
Old 1st Feb 2003, 09:59
StevieTerrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoverman -

Of course I dont think you're getting at me - we're buddies aren't we? And your point about the different experiences of pilots in various parts of the globe is a valid (if rather obvious) one. However the points raised in this thread were concerning safety, and you don't have to have 10,000 hrs in your logbook to realise that leaving an unmanned helicopter running without a very good reason or hot refuelling a Robinson isnt going to win you any prizes from Health and Safety, and could do you a power of no good. You'll no doubt think they are both splendid ideas, so you can disagree with me as usual!!

Just a couple of teeny points to take exception with...

"I don't think he'd (me that is) deny he's had an even more limited flying career and much narrower experience than most of us"

Most of us? From what I've seen about 50% of the posters on Rotorheads are PPLs / Instructors / Wannabees. No disrepect to any of them, we've all been there but I think with I might have a teeny bit more experience than most of them.

"Steve's always worked at the same place". You KNOW this for a fact, dont you, 'cos you're my buddy, right? Are you sure you've got the right person?

Cos if you know me, then you'll aso know that I went to the US, got my FAA CPL and worked for 6 months in California as a tour / camera ship / cable
patrol pilot?

And that I worked for the original FAST helicopters in Shoreham?

And that I have freelanced for Virgin, Heli-Scott, Leeds Central, Helicopter Services and Yorkshire Helicopter Centre?

"limited flying career and much narrower experience"

Yes I have flown lots of pleasure flights, charters, safety pilot and corporate work. Isnt that the staple of all UK Commercial work anyway? I have also done more than my share of TV / film work / aerial photo. I've done a six month stint on the Transco gas pipeline patrol. I've even done some lifting in the Peak District. (Well I do work for Heli-LIFT..) Can't really think of anything much left to do in the UK Commercial world that , short of IR.

Did I mention that I flew for 3 seasons as a co-pilot / radio tech on a Cessna 421 comms aircraft for the Manufacturers teams in the World Rally Championships, on all the European Rallies from Finland down to Greece?

If thats much narrower experience than "most of us" then I take my hat off to you and all your busy friends.

Ok so I'm not the worlds most experienced aviator. But I think I've done a teeny bit more than you gave me credit for.

Hoverman, I'm gutted. All this time we spend together, and you really didnt know me at all, do you?

Last edited by StevieTerrier; 1st Feb 2003 at 17:31.