PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2013, 09:27
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fairey Ultra Light G-APJJ aboard a truck (location unknown). (Photo: The Tony Clarke Collection)

An intriguing photograph as much for what is in the background, deH 86B G-ACZP. My guess for location would be either Kidlington or Baginton....a Vigors or Shackleton sales weekend?

On to the Djinns, vfr440 is indeed correct, seven SO-1221 Djinns were registered in the UK, G-AXBX, G-AXFO, G-AXFP, G-AXFR, G-AXFS, G-AXFT & G-AXFU. All were registered to Agricultural Air Services Ltd. with a London address but based at Kidlington. They all arrived from the French register in Spring 1969 departing back to the same register in 1970. Strangely most acquired new marks rather than being restored to their previous marks. I am pretty sure Agricultural Air Services had a very strong link to BEAS (subsiduary company ??).

I also seem to recall other Djinns were used in the UK during the 1960s, as exemplified by Sav's photograph of F-BHOU. All were used for agricultural work so were often noted away from regular airfields.

HNY to all........... Planemike

PS........ Air-Britain : Sud-Ouest SO.1221S Djinn

Last edited by Planemike; 14th Jan 2013 at 20:00.