PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps (AIRTC)/ AAFC Alumni
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2013, 03:59
really old cadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure about today, but in the past we were issued a book, known as the ATC12, Record of Service. I still have mine, it basically catalogues each course undertaken as well as dates of promotion etc. I did so much in my time with the ATC, that I had to add pages to the book. Mainly for weapons and range activities, including the .22 calibre SMLE (known as the Morris tubes), the .303 SMLE, the SLR, F1 sub machine gun, Browning Hi Power pistol and M60 machine gun.

I realise that this is a bit off topic, but in my day we shot at figure targets, that was before someone decided it was turning us all into little killers.

Flying activities included the Cessna 172 (Lindsay took use on that at Camden), Caribou and Hercules C130 A and E. Some lucky so and so's were carried in Iroquois, sadly I was not one of them.

Courses were conducted mainly at RAAF Wagga, but did my junior NCO course at RAAF Richmond.

Camden was for field training and aeromodelling courses. In winter it was brutal, the accommodation was an unlined nissan type hut, the showers usually cold. The mess hall was usually the only warm spot. In summer the reverse was the case HOT. Model aircraft were built in a disused WWII air-raid bunker which was off into the bush on the left side of the road as you drive into the airfield.

All these memories... speaking of which Lindsay must be in his 70 now??

Russell Bryant