PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Many Madrid ATCO's are hoping for an accident to happen "
Old 31st Dec 2012, 21:16
1stspotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Many Madrid ATCO's are hoping for an accident to happen "

Just came across a rather shocking blogsite written by a Madrid Air Traffic Controller. He is Supervisor for the Madrid Terminal Area.

AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IN SPAIN: Controversial text

The controller describes in detail the events in the Madrid terminal area on the 26th of July and reveals information I have not read on Pprune before.

I am aware of the many opinions by Pprune member stating Spanish ATC is one of the worst in the world, Europe for sure.
This blog confirms it all!

He also gives an insight in quality of training of controllers.
And also about the cost cutting of AENA, the organization responsible for air traffic control. The same company is apparently responsible for operating the airports. As Ryanair does not like to pay too much for airport fees, a penalty given by ATC to Ryanair (lower flightlevel) is not imaginary.

a quote:
"May I begin by confessing a secret? Many air traffic controllers in Spain are hoping for an accident to happen. The trampling over our working terms and conditions has been so painful and the passivity of supervisory institutions (not to mention the lack of independence between providers and supervisors) has been such, that we believe that only the investigation of an accident by different international bodies will unravel the mess and "normalise" our situation. To talk about a death toll of 500 passengers would be scaremongering, but to ignore what has recently happened would be plainly foolish. And I think we have already been foolish enough!
In any case, it is not my intention to write about conditions, I would just prefer to outline the shortcomings of an air traffic control service provider, even if there is much more to be said about the former."

A lot of shocking detail. Wish the international press and politicians spent some more time on investigating this issue. Seems a lot more serious than KLM, Ryanair and other airlines minimal fuel policy.

Last edited by 1stspotter; 31st Dec 2012 at 21:58.