PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Galley Problems & Failures
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2012, 20:15
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah! Galley's. Ordered by those that don't fly.....

I agree with what others have said regarding galley temperature, particularly on Airbus. We eventually were rewarded with underfloor heating in the front galley after showing a series of photo's showing the temperature mid flight to be -6 by the base of the D1L, -2 up by the bustle and 1 degree up on the galley counter. Boeing seem to be slightly better, although far from perfect.

I also agree with givemewings regarding the lack of latches. This is a particular issue in the front galley of Airbus when you have two single carts in a double cart stowage. When that stowage is at the front of the galley, you often find you remove the first cart only to have to catch the second one as it comes barreling out behind it. Our 737's and 777's all have double catches inside to stowage to hold the second cart in place, even if the caterers have left the brakes off. A particular issue on short flights when the aircraft still maybe climbing.

My real bug bear though are ovens in the front galley that are placed on the forward galley bulkhead facing the rear. Again, on short flights, when you open the ovens, you have to make a mad grab for everything to try to stop the whole oven insert sliding out of the oven, complete with hot meals and all the sauce that has spilled out of them. All ovens should either be side on or facing the front of the aircraft.

As far as the sinks go, could a fine mesh of metal not be placed over the plug hole to stop things like coffee dregs etc blocking the sink.

But definitely more storage room!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!