PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is (airbus) fly by wire? Airbus A330/340 and A320 family emergency AD
Old 31st Dec 2012, 18:23
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go-Arounds

Bengerman,
I carefully addressed your manual go-around scenario, but you missed my points completely. (Are you a B737 pilot?) I'll start again.

In Direct Law, the Airbus would experience a marked pitch up, because of its under-slung engines, like a B737. A Fokker 100 or B717 would not, because of their engine configurations.

In Normal Law, the A320 pilot simply eases the stick back to achieve the desired pitch change. That is, he/she initiates and controls the pitch attitude, which is intuitive. Later, as the pilot lowers the pitch and the flaps are progressively retracted, the autotrim will respond to keep the elevator close to neutral, and stick movements will be minimal.

You accept that the B737 usually needs to be trimmed forward during the go-around, to stop over-rotation. Hardly intuitive, is it? You presumably also know that it's going to need a great deal more down-trimming during flap retraction. Pilots do what they have to do.

Perhaps I should add that, having flown the VC10 and BAC 1-11, which fall into the B717 category; the B707, A310 and DC10, which fall into the B737 category; and the A320, I've done manual go-arounds in all of them.

Chris