PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Look inside when very close to touchdown?
Old 31st Dec 2012, 17:52
WhySoTough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look inside when very close to touchdown?

Hi all,

I am aware that most of you are experienced Captains and FOs with lots of flight time, and that is why I always come here for advice.
Bare in mind that I am a very new jet pilot that was lucky to get a job.

I am still line training, and find that this technique works for me so far, but looking for input or advice on how bad this habit is.

Because I do not know exactly how the end of the runway should look on flare, and because I am not as familiar as most of you guys with the flare and flying with the seat of the pants, I keep a standard way for now and just put some considerations to weight and strong headwinds or tailwinds.

For the most part I cut the power at 30, and hold the pitch attitude a bit to stop the ROD, final flare is at 20, and somewhere at this point I find that I ALWAYS take a VERY quick glimpse to see my ROD just to make sure I'm on the safe side. I messed up a landing once where I did not flare enough, and didn't even realize it, and developed this habit since then.
I just glimpse real quick, and when I see a nice break on ROD, I see that If I've got a 200/300 ROD I get comfortable and continue to look outside.
Sometimes I let go if I feel like I'm floating, otherwise continue to gently flare.

Has worked like a charm so far.

Just worried that this could be extremely dangerous or something.
Is it okay if I would continue to do this till I'm line checked and feel experienced enough?

Advice me
Thank you and Happy New Year to all!