PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most unusual method of instilling knowledge
Old 31st Dec 2012, 12:07
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are a 'hand-slapper', 'shoulder puncher' or whatever then are are also an inarticulate semi-simian who is undeserving of your position.
Leaving aside the dodgy grammar and oxymorons, you are just plain wrong.

Example: had a guy training in the sim who was having difficulty with, believe it or not, raw data straight-and-level flight. I was gently trying to explain what he needed to do, but he was completely maxed out and simply wasn't hearing me. My voice got progressively louder and more commanding, but no response. In the end I had to slap his wrist to get his attention, and then pointed at the trim wheel which was all he needed to use to fix the problem.

Another example: had a student who I inherited from another instructor, who wanted to do spinning. Asked if he had been briefed, yes he had. Up to 5000', I put the aircraft in an incipient spin and told him to recover. He didn't. Aircraft enters full spin. Told him to recover again... he didn't. Five turns later, he has the ailerons locked at full deflection and the rudder held in the wrong way. it took a fire extinguisher across his wrist to get him to let go.

Yes, I suppose I could have just continued talking to him until we hit the ground, but physical intervention just seemed to work better... not PC though...