PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Crash in Moscow
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:20
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
I suggest you too wait for the data, very good advice.
I was not criticizing anybody, just merely showing how it could have happened.
I find claims of estimating aircraft speed based on angles from photos simply ludicrous, first of all there is so much unknown in the aircraft weight that even if you get angles right and avoid all errors inherent in photos your results may still be bogus. As to my own private suspicions I do have doubts about performance of the crew based on similar past landings of this airline/aircraft.
Last edited by olasek; 31st Dec 2012 at 05:54.
OLASEK

if you are not placing a criticism in the absence of evidence to those that cannot defend themselves, then I don't have an issue. Runway overruns are hardly isolated to any particular group or aircraft type, all have had issues, for various reasons, not all being crew causations.

Lyman - off the piste speed... with time could be deduced reasonably accurately from the video images. The data will be recorded almost certainly, by the QAR or DFDR, and will be supportable by the video and the CVR as well. Makes a compelling case for EMAS instead of relying on RESA. It sure hit hard... Whether the crew decided to attempt a G/A is one for the data to disclose. The decision to revert to a G/A would occur after cognition of failure which is going to be deep into the runway, and if the failure has included the reverse thrusts being inhibited, then it would be rational but made with little available information to provide input into the decision making process. In some overruns, this does happen, (often with adverse outcomes) but the majority of overruns result from a continuation of the stopping effort. A sensor failure affecting multiple deceleration systems is going to be pretty nasty, and is not a commonly trained procedure. As the Do328-110 power lever design debacle shows, it doesn't take much to mess up the result.

A late correction to recover an aiming point is quite possibly what is being shown in the second photo (more likely than the aircraft being above normal Vref + additives, given photo 1), and for a low inertia aircraft is not uncommon to see; on a high inertia aircraft, it will get everyones attention and often ends untidily, the resulting flare is complicated from the changed attitude, sink rate, and thrust/trim condition.

Last edited by fdr; 31st Dec 2012 at 10:39.