PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Special Memories
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2012, 18:34
Xercules

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Memories

Really there are too many memories to recall. As many have said already it is the people you worked with - even the F4 guys (Wimps) down South at Stanley and then MPA:

1312 flt Q dinners culminating in the whole flight dining-in-night aboard XV206. Menu was compo because of a food poisoning scare but we were determined to dine as planned.

Leaving Addis Ababa on a "trucks to famine relief" slip and listening to the BBC World News to learn that there had been a revolution and coup in Addis the night before (when Haile Selassie was deposed). We had heard and seen nothing and at that stage it was bloodless. I still have my photograph of me standing under the wing with 2 "Revolutionary Guards".

However, perhaps the most memorable occasion was on a night leg from Akrotiri to Masirah. We were crossing Saudi Arabia at about 0300 local, 25000 ft with dead silence on the Air Traffic radios so we were listening (again) to the World Service. This time it was a recording from the Proms, starring Venus from the Planets Suite. As it played we watched Venus rising above the eastern horizon. Words cannot describe the feeling.