PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrongly Accused
Thread: Wrongly Accused
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2012, 15:52
zetec2

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Canberra time wasting !!!

Yes, on a PR Canberra Squadron at Wildenrath late 60's, carrying out a QTR during an exercise dropped the bottom cowling on engine to do oil check, found one of those nice RR domed nuts laying the cowling, well it had to come from somewhere on the engine so I started a look around up past the fuel pumps & gearbox, I was told to wrap it up as I was "time wasting, being bloody minded etc, etc", I refused, was threatened with murder & mayhem as was delaying the aircraft on a mission, by this time everybody & there uncle had congregated, CO, deputies, Flt Sgt, Chiefs etc but I insisted that the nose cowl come off to have a proper look, again threatened with jankers if nothing found, but the nut had to come from somewhere, anyway I did drag out the inspection crawling all over the top of the engine with torch with quite an audience even including the SENGO looking on (no doubt hoping I was in for it !) anyway what I did find was the top gearbox mounting lug cracked right through, gearbox pivoting in the breeze, everybody had to clamber up & have a look whilst I was hustled away to put an entry in the 700, result all PR7's grounded fleet check, exercise cancelled. load of work, engine changes worked overtime & some (we found 2 others with same problem), so I was justified & after all the fuss died down instead of a "Good Show" because of my "attitude & persistence" I was awarded an "Act of Conmmendable Vigilance" grudgingly I might add, strangely I did get a few apologies as it would have been quite disastrous should the whole lot broken free, no fuel pumps etc, etc. So accused of mega time wasting at critical time but was justified.
PH.