PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Crash in Moscow
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2012, 15:42
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
<offtopic>

I'd argue that clicking on the link to watch the footage, and then tut-tutting from the soapbox is pretty much down there too.
Well, I am certainly not pretending that I don't watch the 'action/sensation' footage... we (almost) all do, otherwise all those TV stations wouldn't spend so much money to get life 'action' coverage.
I watched with interest the post-crash footage to observe close-by the crash scene, the structural damage and to watch how rescue was organized. I skipped a bit of the footage when I was expecting him to push the camera onto the windscreen, only to get graphic confirmation of the pilots being smashed to death. I watched the woman being carried away, although objecting to the camera being pushed in her face, I was glad to see her in reasonable shape and seeing her wearing a wedding ring, it immediately crossed my mind that at least she would be reunited with husband/children (so I still hope I'm completely wrong about recognizing her as the fifth victim).

And I don't really have any major objections to the post-crash footage, if:
  • the guy filming is not a media professional trying to get to most out of it (financially) - don’t think this was the case
  • he was genuinely trying to help wherever possible (better still: had some type of clip-on action cam, freeing his hands to help if needed) - not sure he was trying really hard to help anybody
  • had a minimum of respect: not filming deceased people nor any helpless survivors in close-up - didn’t really pass this criterion either
</offtopic>

A little bit more on topic, watching the footage and seeing the rather unprofessional way the woman was being lifted away from the crash-scene, I was wondering what I would do in such a case. Reminding me of the time I was confronted with a motor-bike accident, trying to help the biker in the middle of the low-traffic road, but not really knowing to leave her or to pull her more to the side of the road (even after asking the half conscious girl to do the basic check to see that she could still move fingers and feet). Luckily, I was saved by the bell, when someone shouted “I’m a nurse” relieving me from any first-aid decision making….
Watching the footage, I got frustrated that all the people on-site didn’t put more effort in looking through the passenger-seat rubble, to check for any more survivors. For sure, nobody expects a plane to be almost completely empty. Of course, nothing easier than armchair commenting…