PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrongly Accused
Thread: Wrongly Accused
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2012, 15:21
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrongly Accused

Military, in a way, but not aviation, so if the mods want to ditch this post I’ll understand.

In the middle of WW1 my Grandpa worked in the post office in Lerwick (Shetland Isles) through which all the Naval classified mail was passed to the Flag Officer’s staff.

One day some PO writer in the Flag Officer’s front office couldn’t be *rsed to handle some TS mail and so he stuffed it the bottom drawer of his desk.

The missing mail was detected through the system and a major intelligence operation was launched.

The Fishheads couldn’t find the perpetrator and so they imprisoned the entire staff of the Lerwick main post office in the cells in the town hall, at the top of St Olaf St, IIRC (Anno Domini and Famous Grouse may have reduced the accuracy of my memory).

There weren’t sufficient catering facilities in the town hall and so the guys families were invited in to feed them. There wasn’t any furniture in the cells and so the families were invited to bring in chairs and tables for the guys to eat at.

I could go on, but to cut a long story short – someone found the TS docs in the writer’s bottom drawer and the post office people were all released. The RN never apologised or even acknowledged that they’d made a mistake.

I don’t really expect many answers but have any of you been wrongly accused in service?

Rgds SOS